Sunday, January 9, 2011

Design Wall Monday 1-10-11

Make sure to check out Patchwork Times today for Design Wall Monday - always so much inspiration there.


I actually have something in my design/work area other than knitted socks. Well, okay, there is one pair of knitted socks that I finished this week, but I also have fabrics laid out for 3 sets of pillowcases, and I have pulled out the origami quilt to work on - all that's left to do on the origami quilt is sewing on the beads and finishing the binding.

Besides being totally hooked on knitting socks, I'm also totally hooked on making pillowcases - they are so fast to make and the fabric combinations are endless. Yesterday I had the delightful pleasure of helping my friend Lori in her quilt shop, Cotton Fields. It's like being in a candy shop and I selected fabrics with pillowcases in mind. I love talking quilts with the customers. She has a lot of customers that aren't quilters but know the value of using quality fabrics in their handmade items, like handbags, potholders, aprons, pillowcases, etc.

I just cringe when I hear that someone is investing their precious time to make something, especially something big like a quilt, but are using inexpensive big-chain store fabrics. The same holds true for beading.

Whenever possible I try to support local businesses, so I feel especially thankful to have a beautiful quilt shop so close to my house. Usually I can find what I need there but Lori is always willing to special order items, too.

11 comments:

  1. You origami flowers are WONDERFUL. I have never tried anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love making pillowcases. You are right about supporting local businesses instead of large chain stores but sometimes finances can get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your socks turned out yummy. I love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute socks and really nice origami. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you...the businesses we support will be the ones that are around in 10 years. I'm worried that in the future we will have only big box cheap stores and huge warehouse mail order business and no fabulous local quilt stores!
    I'm hoping to learn how to make those folded flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! Love those flowers!!!! Where are the beads going? It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Origami Quilt. I think that I may even have the book! Do you have a lot more to do on it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When fabrics in quilt shops are close to $10/yd. it's not always possible for a person to purchase their fabric for a quilt there. I do what I can to support local shops, but I'm on a very limited budget. Don't assume all the fabrics sold in big chain stores are bad. They aren't. I've been quilting for over 20 yrs. and have bought fabrics—quality fabric, not junk—in all sorts of places. Please don't knock the people who can't afford the fabric in quilt shops. Sometimes other sources are as good or better. The plaid cotton shirts in my local Goodwill Outlet are wonderful quilting fabrics! Bonnie Hunter shops for Goodwill shirts. You can see those fabrics in quilts in her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie - I'm sorry my comments about the big-chain stores sounded so harsh. Their quality does vary and I've not had much luck with them in my area. I've seen a number of quilted pieces made from shirts and such and they are spectacular, so indeed, fabric does come from many sources. I have a quilt my grandmother made that was made from worn out clothing and it is a cherished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The origami flowers are really spectacular! What a special quilt. Have fun with your pillowcases! Like you, I like to support my local quilting shops but surely have bought quality backings and batting at big chain stores to save $$.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Annie. In Canada our local quilt shops charge an average of $13.00 to $15.00 a meter for fabric. (To compare, consider that our dollar is close to the USA dollar.) Is it possible that some quilt shops are overpricing?

    ReplyDelete